Still, the show would never have been more than a knockoff of the similar Bewitched (basically, the battle of the sexes with a magic twist) if Tony's secret hadn't been discovered midseason by his best friend, fellow astronaut Roger (the wonderful Bill Daily, later on The Bob Newhart Show). Unburdened by the need for decency, Roger could be the show's insatiable id, eager to use Jeannie for no end of self-serving purposes. Meanwhile, psychiatrist Dr. Bellows (Hayden Rorke) served as the show's perpetually flabbergasted superego, constantly demanding a rational explanation for all the madcap events around him. All at once the show's storylines--which had previously been dominated by Jeannie's desire for marriage--could wander in any daffy direction the writers chose. The result was deeply silly and utterly charming.
Cast & Characters
- Barbara Eden as Jeannie
- Larry Hagman as Capt. Tony Nelson
- Bill Daily as Capt. Roger Healey
- Hayden Rorke as Dr. Alfred Bellows
- Barton MacLane as Gen. Martin Peterson (1965-1969)
- Emmaline Henry as Amanda Bellows (1966-1970)
- Vinton Hayworth as Gen. Winfield Schaeffer (1969-1970)
Broadcast HistoryFirst Telecast: September 18, 1965
Last Telecast: September 1, 1970
Original Network: NBC
Number of Seasons: 5
Number of Episodes: 139
Original Primetime TV Schedule:
- September 1965- September 1966, NBC, Saturday 8:00-8:30pm
- September 1966- August 1967, NBC, Monday 8:00-8:30pm
- September 1967- August 1968, NBC, Tuesday 7:30-8:00pm
- September 1968- August 1969, NBC, Monday 7:30-8:00pm
- September 1969- August 1970, NBC, Tuesday 7:30-8:00pm
Theme Song & Opening Credits
Theme by Bobby Morganstein
Listen to theme song:
Purchase theme on
I Dream Of Jeannie on DVD
|Season 1||Season 2||Season 3||Season 4||Season 5|
|Complete Series||View all I Dream Of Jeannie DVDs, books, merchandise and collectibles from Amazon.com|
Watch I Dream Of Jeannie Episodes OnlinePurchase episodes on
I Dream of Jeannie Image Gallery
I Dream of Jeannie TriviaJeannie's bottle was made from a Jim Beam liquor decanter which was simply painted with gold leaf.
Jeannie was born on April 1st of the year 64 B.C.
Several performers played themselves on the TV show. Some of them were Groucho Marx (You Bet Your Life), Sammy Davis Jr., Milton Berle, Don Ho, & Judy Carne and Arte Johnson of Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In.
Although they were both Astronauts, Anthony Nelson was in the Air Force and Roger Healey was in the Army.
Barbara Eden played dual roles (as Jeannie and as Jeannie's sister) in nine episodes.
Actor Michael Ansara (Barbara Eden's husband) guest-starred in three episodes and directed one.