According to Deadline.com, Warner Bros. TV confirmed that the show had not been submitted despite having produced and aired enough episodes in its eighth season to be eligible. Sources close to the show said producers decided the show should not be submitted due to the controversies surrounding former star Charlie Sheen.
Production on the series had to be suspended in January when Sheen was hospitalized after an allegedly drug-fuelled bender. Then, following Sheen's series of bizarre public rants, in which he relentlessly attacked 'Two and Half Men' co-creator Chuck Lorre, Warner Bros. and CBS, production on the show was halted for the season.
Sheen was subsequently fired, and Ashton Kutcher was hiredas his replacement.
'Two and a Half Men' has previously been nominated for Best Comedy Series three times without a win. When CBS boss Les Moonves broke his silence on Sheen's anti 'Men' rants he even told reporters that, "I wish [Sheen] would have worked this hard to promote himself for an Emmy."
Although Warner Bros. has pulled out of the Best Comedy Series category, the studio is reportedly giving its full support to Sheen's former co-stars, with ad campaigns planned for Jon Cryer, Holland Taylor, Angus T. Jones and Conchata Ferrell.
Cryer, Taylor and Ferrell have all received multiple Emmy nods for their work on 'Men,' with Cryer winning for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series in 2009.
Sheen was also nominated several times, for Best Actor, but never won. While shows are submitted for consideration by their producing studios, actors' applications are done primarily by their reps. TVLine.com reported that Sheen's team hadn't submitted his name by the April 29 submissions deadline, but there is an Emmy rules loophole, which means that he could be written in later. Right now it's unclear if that's been done.