However, NBC boss Robert Greenblatt is reportedly going to stay the executioner's hand. For now, anyway.
According to Deadline, he's decided to allow 'The Playboy Club' and new comedy 'Free Agents' a bit more time to find their feet and their audiences before he makes any big decisions about their future.
This is in stark contrast to the 2010 fall season, when networks culled shows like 'Lone Star' straight out of the starting gate.
Greenblatt started off in cable TV, where shows are given a whole season before being axed or renewed, and he's rumored to be sending a message to the creative community that their shows will be given a chance to thrive at NBC.
However, keeping under-performing shows on the air is an expensive business, so don't expect the newbies to survive if their ratings don't pick up soon.
'Free Agents,' which stars Anthony "Buffy" Head, is a remake of a successful British sitcom, but hasn't caught fire with audiences. It hit a new low this week so the prospects look bleak.
As for 'The Playboy Club,' it could linger on as a seat warmer for Brian Williams' new magazine show, 'Rock Center.' Producers are rumored to be eyeing the Monday night 10PM slot as a launch pad, but the show's not quite ready yet.
One other NBC show that's also rumored to be on the bubble right now is crime drama 'Prime Suspect.' It's been doing marginally better than the other two shows, but is still failing to attract viewers in the coveted age 18-49 demographic.
'The Playboy Club' airs Mondays, 10PM ET on NBC.
'Free Agents' airs Wednesdays, 8:30PM ET on NBC.
- Margot Robbie, <a href="http://www.aoltv.com/show/pan-am/8678838">'Pan Am'</a>
- Steve Jones, <a href="http://www.aoltv.com/show/the-x-factor/8757019">'The X Factor'</a>
- Shelley Conn, <a href="http://www.aoltv.com/show/terra-nova/8127826">'Terra Nova'</a>
- Beth Behrs, <a href="http://www.aoltv.com/show/2-broke-girls/8680648">'2 Broke Girls'</a>
- David Giuntoli, <a href="http://www.aoltv.com/show/grimm/8677098">'Grimm'</a>
- Annie Ilonzeh, <a href="http://www.aoltv.com/show/charlies-angels/8678467">'Charlie's Angels'</a>
- Taissa Farmiga, <a href="http://www.aoltv.com/tag/american%20horror%20story/">'American Horror Story'</a>
- Max Greenfield, <a href="http://www.aoltv.com/show/new-girl/8677772">'New Girl'</a>
- Laura Benanti, <a href="http://www.aoltv.com/show/the-playboy-club/8676991">'The Playboy Club'</a>
- Phoebe Tonkin, <a href="http://www.aoltv.com/show/the-secret-circle/8682507">'The Secret Circle'</a>
- Jane Levy, <a href="http://www.aoltv.com/show/suburgatory/8679229">'Suburgatory'</a>
- LaMarcus Tinker, <a href="http://www.aoltv.com/show/glee/3496658">'Glee'</a>
- Odette Annable, <a href="http://www.aoltv.com/show/house/185044">'House'</a>