When I initially heard that 'Revenge' would be premiering this fall (Wed., Sept. 21, 10PM ET on ABC), I was a bit surprised -- with the show's sexy Hamptons setting and murder mystery element, it seemed more suited to a summer premiere. But the more I've seen, the more I've realized that it's my new not-so-guilty pleasure, and those are good all year round.
Emily VanCamp stars as Emily Thorne, a gorgeous girl spending her summer in Southampton. But her life isn't all wealth and parties and hobnobbing -- turns out Emily's got some secrets. She's mingling with the highest of high society for one reason and one reason only: Revenge.
Special iPads were sent out to select press, loaded with goodies like photos, the iTunes file and music video for the show's theme song (Angus & Julia Stone's 'For You') and a "confidential" video message. Here's the scoop on the pilot and some teases revealed in those messages.
1. Although the video message on the special 'Revenge' iPad said to keep it confidential, this summary is too good not to share: "My name is Amanda Clark ... but to the people here in the Hamptons, I'm Emily Thorne. You see, my father died in prison, an innocent man, because the woman he loved betrayed him. I have made it my mission to seek retribution for the injustice he suffered. After years of surveillance, studying all of the conspirators and identifying their sins and weaknesses, I've finally devised a plan to ensure they all pay. I'll see you next week. Maybe then you'll understand -- revenge is the only way I'll ever be set free." Chills!
2. While the show's success hinges largely on Emily VanCamp's likeability, the supporting cast is stellar as well. Madeleine Stowe as Victoria Grayson, the Hamptons socialite supreme and Emily's enemy #1; Henry Czerny as Victoria's husband Conrad Grayson, a powerful businessman with the skeletons in his closet to prove it; 'Gossip Girl' alum Connor Paolo as Declan and Gabriel Mann as Nolan, two bad boys on the Hamptons scene; and Ashley Madekwe plays Ashley, Emily's ally and ticket into the hottest Hamptons affairs.
3. The pilot begins with a very ominous quote from Confucius: "Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves." It then continues to bring up a very important question: can two wrongs ever make a right?
4. On that note, there's a murder and the body is discovered in the first five minutes of the show, before we flash back to see what led to that end-of-summer tragedy.
5. Not only do we get to see the glitz and glamor of Hamptons life, we also get to flashback to a time when Emily's life wasn't quite so complicated to see how she got to where she is today. That sets the scene for all the revenge she'll be exacting, and lays out exactly who her enemies are.
Intrigued? Will you watch 'Revenge'?